Monday, October 6, 2008

Motor Assisted Recumbent

Here is the Sun EZ-Speedster with the GEBE (Golden Eagle Bike Engine) mounted on the rear. The disk brake is coming off because the engine frame wouldn't fit around it. And even if I had been able to attach the engine frame ... It would have clamped the disk mechanism so it wouldn't work.

I ran a ground line (soldered to the switch) ..
connected to the bolt securing the engine brace.
It works really well.

The kill switch lines weren't long enough to go to the handlebars ...
So it is held in place by the clamp that holds the water bottle.
The original throttle cable is shorter than desired ...
but is draped under the seat and functions
without reducing "free play" in the cable length.
When I get some more "bullet" connectors ...
I'll lengthen the lines and mount the switch on the handlebars.

Due to the chain on the other side ...
I opted to put the throttle lever on the left side.
Which doesn't conflict with the majority of my shifting

This shows the kill switch on my handlebar stem.

I had to cut one of these cable routing thingies
off of another bike and weld it in this position under the seat
to allow for optimum use of the cable going to the rear brake/

Since I couldn't mount both the engine and disk brake ...
And the rear fork area was too wide for "V" brake posts ...
I cut this unit off the front of another bike
and welded it to the rear.
The thought of going down hills with only a front disk brake ...
was too scary a thought for me to consider ...
and since I plan on riding this bike 11 miles to work tomorrow ...
attaching a rear brake became a HIGH priority!

1 comment:

sleepless said...

So impressive Bro.!!